Schools and settings should:
- ensure specific opportunities for pupils to develop and use their speaking, reading and writing skills across areas of learning and in different activity areas;
- ensure an effective balance between formal sessions to teach and reinforce language skills and informal opportunities to use them;
- develop learning activities and experiences which ensure that pupils from different linguistic backgrounds make appropriate progress from their starting point;
- set clear expectations which will ensure that pupils from all backgrounds use the Welsh language as they pursue informal activities, particularly at the beginning of the Foundation Phase;
- set clear expectations for practitioners with regards to using the Welsh language in the Foundation Phase so as they introduce and model a good standard of Welsh to their pupils across areas of learning;
- track progress in pupils’ speaking, reading and writing skills consistently throughout the Foundation Phase; and
- give appropriate attention to quality of provision and standards in the Foundation Phase as part of self-evaluation processes and improvement planning in schools and settings.
Local authorities and organisations which manage non-maintained settings should:
- provide support and training for practitioners on immersion methods of language learning and provide guidance on how language, literacy and communication skills (Welsh) can be developed in a way which is compatible with the philosophy and methodology of the Foundation Phase;
- provide training and support for practitioners, including assistants, to improve their Welsh, where necessary;
- share good practice in terms of developing language, literacy and communication skills (Welsh) across areas of learning and activity areas in the Foundation Phase; and
- ensure that local authority support provision for Welsh-medium non-maintained settings is available in Welsh.
The Welsh Government should:
- ensure that authorities and schools understand the relationship between the methodology and philosophy of the Foundation Phase and the Literacy and Numeracy Framework.