- use the prompts in Appendix 2 of the report to help evaluate their practice and promote improvement;
- ensure that there are regular, well-planned opportunities for children to improve their reading and writing skills;
- develop a better balance between child-initiated and practitioner-led learning; and
- plan more challenging activities to develop thinking, communication, numeracy and ICT skills across the areas of learning.
Local authorities should:
- support all schools to develop a sound knowledge of the principles and practice of the Foundation Phase.
The Welsh Government should:
- issue guidance on good practice to support schools in the areas outlined above.
For a full list of recommendations, please download the report.