- use the core data sets to challenge themselves to do as well as the best practice identified in other similar schools, including those in their family of schools;
- make more effective use of ‘modelled expected performance’ charts;
- analyse the performance of pupils entitled to free school meals more thoroughly and base improvement strategies on the findings; and
- make sure that governors understand fully the school’s performance data, including position in the family and the free-school-meal benchmark quarters, and that they play a key role in self-evaluation and planning for improvement.
Local authorities should:
- ensure that the performance information and analyses that they provide to schools complement and do not duplicate the core data sets; and
- train school leaders and governors to analyse the core data sets better and to use the findings to identify what needs to improve.
The Welsh Government should:
- consider including data on non-core subjects in the key stage 4 data sets.