At Ysgol Maes Dyfan, pupils benefit from one-to-one sessions with a Learning Coach which have boosted their communications skills, raised their confidence and increased self-awareness.
At Ysgol Maes Dyfan our Learning Coaches offer weekly one to one sessions for pupils from key stage 3 to the sixth form. Maes Dyfan has adapted this service to suit pupils who have a range of special educational needs.
A designated room for the Learning Coach sessions has been equipped with a range of appropriate SEN resources including adapted worksheets, activities and a tracking system to measure the success or progress made by learners.
This neutral territory provides a safe and secure environment to encourage supportive and productive mentoring sessions. Sessions are allocated with minimal disruption to the pupil’s timetable. This service works alongside the learning pathway of the individual child to ensure they are receiving their entitlement to a learning coach, as required by the Welsh Government.
The mentoring system forms an integral part of the curriculum
The mentoring system forms an integral part of the curriculum and has enhanced the learning process for young people with special educational needs.
Positive learning outcomes include:
- increased communication skills;
- raised confidence and self- esteem;
- progress in forming positive social interactions and building relationships;
- increased self-awareness;
- taking responsibility for their own learning by setting themselves appropriate measureable and realistic targets; and
- increasing ownership of their learning pathway and a sense of direction.