Estyn’s rules concerning travel and subsistence payments have been developed in light of the following principles:
- the need for efficiency, effectiveness and value for money;
- the importance of ensuring that claimants are fully and speedily reimbursed for expenses actually and necessarily incurred;
- the need for administrative arrangements to be the minimum compatible with adequate accountability;
- the need for expenditure to be authorised in advance, where appropriate;
- the need for payments not to incur a taxation liability for the individual or Estyn; and
- application on an equal and fair basis regardless of age, gender, gender identity (transgender), race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief or other irrelevant considerations.