Legislation sets out the powers of Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Education and Training in Wales. This includes what the Chief Inspector may or must inspect and report on, how often schools and other providers must be inspected and details for publishing inspection reports.
The main primary legislation governing our inspections is:
- Education Act 2005 (non-maintained nursery settings, maintained schools and PRUs)
- Education Act 2002 (independent schools)
- Learning and Skills Act 2000 (post-16 providers)
- Education Act 1997 (local authorities)
- Education Act 1994 (teacher training)
The legislation contain extra requirements for some sectors of education and training, particularly maintained schools. It includes provision for additional inspectors and Registered Inspectors, and for placing schools in categories of concern, such as special measures or significant improvement.
The legislation also sets out that all non-maintained nursery settings, maintained schools and Pupil Referral Units must be inspected within the seven year period between September 2016 and August 2023.